Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Events and Attention Grabbers

 Last month I flew out to Tennessee to attend the Children's Book Festival at the World's Fair Park in Knoxville.  The weather was warm, but there was a nice breeze and the event volunteers had erected canopies for each of us. I had forgotten about all the hills in that part of the country. I guess I've gotten spoiled living in central Oklahoma. 



I had copies of all of my books, (the dozen published books and two anthologies.) I had giveaway cards, bookmarks, and stickers as well as a few other things for the kids and parents. I also had my lifelike (and cat-sized) stuffed black kitty and baby possum. I got everything set up and ready for whoever came. 

And came they did! I heard later that it was in excess of 12,000 people. The kids were drawn to my stuffed TB (Toe Biter, in case you forgot. LOL). He was like a magnet! It was fun to talk to everyone who came by.  

It turned out to be a red letter cat day. My two books about TB the black cat, Realms of the Cat and First Realm were the book of the day. I sold all nineteen copies of them. I only sold a few other book titles. It was interesting that when I had no more copies and put my stuffed TB  away, I stopped getting visitors. 

That had me thinking that I should try to find eye-catchers for my other books. I wonder if a 'tornado in a bottle' would work for Billy Bob Flybottom? I'll let you know at my next event. I just got the table top tornado a couple of days ago.  

If you have any ideas for my other books, let me know in the comments below. 


At a previous event, TB is holding up a book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment